Friday, May 6, 2011

Orange Leaf

Tonight we went to opening night at the new Orange Leaf in Joplin, MO. We had been introduced to Orange Leaf in Springfield, MO about a year ago, so we had been eagerly anticipating having an O.L. closer to home. For those of you who are Orange Leaf virgins, let me explain how it works. Orange Leaf is a self-serve frozen yogurt bar. There are about 16 different flavors of soft-serve frozen yogurt from which to choose. Some flavors are pretty standard like chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and the like. Other flavors rotate in and out, like banana, peanut butter, cake batter and coffee. Tonight offered some new-to-me flavors like brownie batter and butter pecan. These new flavors did not disappoint.



After you fill your cup with as much and as many flavors as your little heart desires, the line winds itself around to the toppings bar. The toppings also tend to rotate in and out, but in general there is always a variety of fresh fruit like strawberries, blueberries, kiwi and pineapple. There are also not-so-healthy offerings, like gummy bears, Teddy Grahams, candy bars, brownie pieces and more. For the adventuresome, there is also usually a wide variety of cereal choices as toppings, also. The toppings bar ends with several sauces like caramel and chocolate. The line ends at the register where you weigh your bowl of yogurt-topping goodness. The cost at the Joplin location is 41 cents per ounce (which is higher than Springfield's cost of 33 cents per ounce).



My favorite part about Orange Leaf (other than the yummy selection and fun decor) is that you control what you get. Other ice cream or frozen yogurt places have a menu of items and you pretty much take what they offer -- and in the quantities they offer. I like that I can choose a little or a lot and if I want to try a little of each flavor, then that's okay too. Orange Leaf in my neck of the woods is both a blessing and a curse. I love that I no longer have to make the hour-plus drive to Springfield to enjoy some self-serve yogurt yumminess...but I hate that I'll live with an ever-present temptation.

1 comment:

  1. I have been twice and I love the Brownie Batter with Peanut Butter!!!!

    ReplyDelete